Friday, 7 May 2010
Top Ten Health Benefits from cycling
With the many modes of transportation today and the myriad of exercise activities available, some wonder why an adult would spend hours just riding a bicycle. Is bike riding too "childish" an activity? Pedaling takes work, and it can feel painful and slow, so why bother? Believe it or not, riding a bike will enhance your health and well-being if you give it a try! Here are 10 compelling reasons you can enjoy cycling.
1. Cycling is good for your heart. This activity is rated second only to running among popular types of exercise, a very well-rounded means of staying fit and increasing cardiovascular health! Cycling regularly can significantly decrease a person's risk for heart disease.
2. Cycling promotes full body fitness. This activity is a great workout for the entire body, especially the lower body. People who want to develop great leg, hip, and glute muscle tone while trimming their waists can benefit greatly from cycling - this is often why the exercise bikes in fitness clubs are so popular!
3. Cycling is a low impact exercise. There are a large number of fitness regimens and exercises that put a strain on your bones and joints. Over time, this strain can damage your body and diminish your health, causing knee, ankle, and back issues - possibly even arthritis. Cycling affords a person a great fitness opportunity while retaining bone and joint health.
4. Cycling is therapeutic and may relieve stress. Riding bicycles is proven to be a therapeutic activity and more and more people are taking up cycling for a serene, more peaceful type of exercise. Studies are beginning to show that cycling may help to decrease stress - particularly when riding in beautiful scenic areas.
5. Cycling is an exercise than can increase work productivity. It has been shown that persistent inactivity begets even more inactivity. Conversely, an active lifestyle promotes overall energy at both work and at home. Cycling is a delightful way to increase your amount of exercise and therefore boost your productivity!
6. Cycling outdoors saves the cost of fitness club membership. The average cost of an adult fitness club membership is about $400 a year, but when you enter the club, you often see most people on the exercise bikes and treadmills! All that money, equipment, and even personal trainers from your fitness club may not necessarily surpass the benefits of regular cycling coupled with recurrent basic calisthenics (such as push-ups and sit-ups.)
7. Cycling is an activity that includes others. More than any other individual fitness activity, cycling is an enjoyable inclusive exercise. It is only natural to include your family and friends on your riding excursions. A couple or a family can enjoy the benefits of both exercise and quality time when riding together!
8. Cycling helps us appreciate the beauty and nuances of our surrounding environment. In the hustle and bustle of life, it is easy to miss the small beauties around us. When cycling, you may notice that life seems to slow down a bit and that you can enjoy your surroundings more. Whether riding through a beautiful scenic area, or even around your neighborhood, you may better appreciate your everyday surroundings.
9. Cycling is a great way to meet your neighbors. When cycling in your neighborhood, it is only natural to wave at your neighbors more often than you might from your car. This approachability could easily lead to better acquaintances with neighbors who are walking or working in their yards, and possibly even result in lasting friendships!
10. Cycling is fun. You may think that most fitness routines are difficult, and even unpleasant. Frequent bike riding, however, is perhaps one of the most delightful, enjoyable ways to achieve healthy exercise. This activity may be an intrinsic pleasure you have simply forgotten from your childhood days!
You may want to consider including cycling into your lifestyle for these many reasons. Once you begin cycling, it may be time to find that perfect partner to ride along with you. Remember, like a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, the journey to fitness could begin with a single bike ride around the block!
About the Author
For more affordable sports and exercise tips from Susan Braden, see this article.
Susan Braden invites you to visit http://www.1Dental.com, where you can join 7 million dental patients around the nation saving 20-60% off dental work at one of 65,000 dentists. 1Dental.com offers the nation's #1 dental plan starting at $6.95/month with immediate savings of up to 60%.
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Susan_Braden